By Elyse Yarrick
CCC Journalism Program

BLACKWOOD – In the past five years, nearly 4,000 graduates of Camden County College have transferred to other colleges or universities. Many students in the process of taking that next step are concerned with how their work at Camden County College will translate to their next school.


Jessenia Ortiz is a second-year nursing student. By Elyse Yarrick, CCC Journalism Program

Jessenia Ortiz, a second-year student in the nursing program, has concerns about the future of her education. “I’m transferring to either Jefferson or Our Lady of Lourdes. I’m taking the required classes for those nursing programs. I’m concerned I won’t get enough credits to transfer,” says Ortiz.

Camden County College’s Institutional Goals, found on its website, includes improving transfer. Because of the New Jersey Comprehensive Statewide Transfer Agreement, in-state transferring is simple and effective. Linda Drexel, the assistant dean of enrollment services, explains, “An A.A. or A.S. degree from a New Jersey community college will be fully transferable as the first two years of a baccalaureate degree program at a New Jersey public four-year institution.”

But for non-graduates the process is trickier. Drexel explains, “If a student does not complete the associate degree, the four-year college will evaluate the transcript on a course-by-course basis; therefore, you should complete the A.A. or A.S. degree to maximize course transferability.”

There are other options, though, for students who don’t complete their associate’s degree at Camden County College and want to transfer elsewhere. The college is willing to work with students to come up with a solution that best fits the students’ academic needs.

Although most Camden County College graduates stay in New Jersey to finish their education, a significant number of graduates travel outside New Jersey. When it comes to transferring out of state, the college or university evaluates which credits it will and will not accept from Camden County College. The school can also choose to count credits as electives rather than to fulfill a required course.

This may seem like an unfair process to some, but students concerned about not receiving their credits or having to repeat classes at their next school should keep in mind a few pieces of advice. “You have the right to appeal respectfully,” Drexel stated. “Don’t be content with the first evaluation.”

To appeal the initial evaluation, students can contact Camden County College to send the class syllabus to the college. After evaluating the syllabus and the textbooks used, the institution can determine whether or not the course the student took is an equivalent to the course it requires.

Whether a student is transferring in state before completing an associate’s degree or transferring out of state, students should remember their right and fight to have their work recognized and accredited. “Don’t take no for an answer. Be respectful. Be a professional,” Drexel advised.

Leave a Reply